Some of the things I have learned since being in Iceland:
1. The Icelandic word for taco sauce looks similar to the English word for Salsa but is most definitely not the same substance as I found out when I slathered taco sauce on my fried egg sandwich.
2. "Dumpster Picking" is exactly what it sounds like. You go to the dumpster out back of the local grocery store and bring home all the food that was thrown out but is still edible by whichever standards you set for yourself.
3. Sheep are often times suicidal and jump in front of your moving vehicle unexpectedly.
4. When you put bananas from "dumpster picking" in a pot with stolen rhubarb and cook it with some water and sugar... it makes a pretty decent desert.
5. If you don't haul ass bagging your own groceries at the checkout line, you will quite litterally be run over by the locals.
6. No matter how many times I clean the house, fridge, and kitchen... my apartment will always smell like fish.
7. My washing machine is in German and apparantly, cycle B gets my clothes suffeciently clean.
8. When you put your clothes on the line to dry, you must first look out the window every five minutes to make sure that it didn't start raining, and secondly... accept the fact that your clothes will smell like fish when they are dried.
Until next time... :)
Hi Jamie! Your tales from Iceland remind me of Amsterdam, especially the grocery store craziness. All the pictures are beautiful. I am jealous! Have a great time and be safe! I'll be following your adventures!
ReplyDeletein IIKE,
Juliette
our posts make me laugh and cry. Sounds like a wonderful experience and I'm glad your dad was there; his happiness shows!!! Keep smiling and enjoying the experience. You will NEVER have this time again. LOVE YOU!
ReplyDeleteAugust 9, 2009 11:23 PM
Hey Jamie! It sounds like you are having a great time so far. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on your adventures...I know how hard it is to do when you're studying abroad! Your pictures are absolutely stunning, too! Michala would be proud ;) I see that you've been collecting sea glass...could you bring some back for me? I've been collecting it for a few years and would love some Icelandic sea glass! I miss you!
ReplyDeleteHey sis! i was going to ask you last time on skype how to get to your blog but someone had it up on the computer i looked at all the pictures and the blogs and they are amazing! i'm so glad your doing this i feel like i am in iceland with you. i miss you and love you soooo much<333 FYI me and james are over
ReplyDelete